If you are planning to work or study abroad as an international student, especially in English-speaking countries, your proof of proper usage of English for communication will be ascertained and proven effective. That’s why IELTS is important. A lot of candidates make mistakes because they don’t know the right documents required for it. You need to be aware of what documents are required for IELTS registration, to avoid cancellation of registration.
The IELTS is designed to assess the language skills of candidates who need to study or work when using English as a communication language. Over the years, IELTS has been the widely accepted test for educational, immigration, and professional purposes and has been accepted by over 10,000 institutions in 140 countries around the world.
The British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and Cambridge Assessment English conduct IELTS all year round. Candidates can complete their 2020 IELTS registration based on the preferred test date.
Candidates have the opportunity to appear in the test in computer-aided test mode or in paper-based test mode. IELTS tests the listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills of students or professionals who want to complete a higher education abroad (in English). The employed or job seekers also apply for IELTS, which is recognized as proof of the applicant’s English skills.
Is IELTS Application Done Online and Offline?
The IELTS application form 2020 can be submitted in both online and offline mode. In order to be able to register online, the manager has specified the registration portal on its official website.
Candidates who want to register offline can download the IELTS 2020 application form using the link provided on this page. Candidates are advised to plan IELTS after considering the admission period of their preferred university or college.
How Do I register for IELTS?
Registering for your IELTS test is quick and easy:
Find the closest IELTS test site
With more than 1,600 IELTS test sites in over 140 countries, there is bound to be one near you. Find the nearest center. To find the nearest IELTS 2020 test center – Click here
Register for your IELTS test
You can register and pay online or download an application form to print, fill out and send to your local test center.
- Visit the official website of the IELTS registration portal. Read all the information given on the page.
- Select your country and find the test center location.
- Once the center location is accessed, click on the registration links as shown below. Don’t forget to present a copy of your valid ID. You must present the same ID document on the day of the test.
- Create your account and select the option ‘Register for Test.’
- Select your preferred choice of test from the given options, which are – computer-delivered IELTS and paper-based (IELTS, IELTS for UKVI, or Life Skills).
- Select your IELTS test types
- Find the test date – Candidates must check the availability of tests at a given test center and schedule/her test considering the availability in mind. Along with the test slot, candidates must also select the test slot from the available options
- Fill out the IELTS application form 2020 and complete the registration form.
- Upload a clear and scanned color copy of the passport and submit the details.
- Fee payment – Can be done in online mode, using the payment gateway facilities.
Your IELTS test is booked
Once the IELTS test date is booked, and your application has been processed, you will receive an acknowledgment on the registered contact information with the confirmation of the center, date, and time of your test. Speaking and writing tests usually take place on the same day. If this is not possible, the tests will take place within seven days.
In case the candidate has not selected any slot, the conducting body will allot the slot time automatically since there will be no slots booked by the candidates.
What Documents Are Required For IELTS Registration?
The only document for identification that will be accepted at the IELTS exam center is your valid passport/national identity card. Your identity will be verified when you arrive at the IELTS test site. It is mandatory for the entire exam, i.e. listening/reading, writing, and speaking sections. It is also the only identification document that is accepted when IELTS candidates are registered.
The identification document that you submit during the exam should match the one you submitted when you applied for the exam. Remember to make a color copy of the front and back of the passport. Candidates without a valid ID will not be admitted to the ILETS examination center.
Other basic items required at the exam center include:
- 2 current identical passport photos of you:
- These photos are required if the photo uploaded to your registration form is not clear. In this case, you must submit a new photo during the first ID check on the day of the check.
- Print out the confirmation email that the British Council received after registering for the IELTS exam to your registered email address. This printout is stamped at the entrance to the listening, reading, writing, and speaking tests.
- A few stationery items such as a black or blue ballpoint pen, a few pens, a sharpener, and an eraser.
- A small water bottle (500 ml) should be transparent and without labels. However, in some centers, this may not be necessary as arrangements have been made to provide the test candidates with drinking water/refreshments and other essential requirements.
- Except for the items listed above, nothing else needs to be brought to the exam centers.
Which Items Are Not Allowed On The Exam Day?
Items such as cell phones, watches, and electronic devices are not permitted in the examination room. Therefore, avoid wearing them, or they must be left outside in a specific place before entering the examination room. Mobile phones must be switched off and put in your pocket before you leave them in the designated place.
FAQs On Documents for IELTS Registration
The only document required for IELTS registration is your passport number and some of its details to apply for the exam. Appearing for the IELTS means that you intend to either study abroad or immigrate. You will need a passport for these purposes.
You are expected to provide proof of your identity (passport or National Identity Card) at registration. Contact the test center to confirm which type of identity document is accepted.
No, as per the guidelines by IDP, candidates need valid ID photo proof to register for the test
While preparing for your IELTS Exam, you have to be fully aware of what documents are required for IELTS registration in other to avoid mistakes or disqualification. It is important to note that whatever document you submit during the registration is what will be required during the test.