If you are planning to work or study abroad as an international student especially in English speaking countries, your proof of proper usage of English for communication will be ascertained and proven effective. That’s why IELTS is important. A lot of candidates make mistakes because they don’t know the right documents required for it. You need to be aware of what documents are required for IELTS registration, to other avoid cancellation of registration.
The IELTS is designed to assess the language skills of candidates who need to study or work when using English as the communication language. Over the years, IELTS has been the widely accepted test for educational, immigration, and professional purposes and has been accepted by over 10,000 institutions in 140 countries around the world.
The British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English conduct IELTS all year round. Candidates can complete their 2020 IELTS registration based on the preferred test date.
Candidates have the opportunity to appear in the test in computer-aided test mode or in paper-based test mode. IELTS tests the listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills of students or professionals who want to complete a higher education abroad (in English). The employed or job seekers also apply for IELTS, which is recognised as proof of the applicant’s English skills.
Is IELTS Application done Online and Offline?
The IELTS application form 2020 can be submitted in both online and offline mode. In order to be able to register online, the manager has specified the registration portal on its official website.
Candidates who want to register offline can download the IELTS 2020 application form using the link provided on this page. Candidates are advised to plan IELTS after considering the admission period of their preferred university or college.
How do I register for IELTS?
Registering for your IELTS test is quick and easy:
Find the closest IELTS test site
With more than 1,600 IELTS test sites in over 140 countries, there is bound to be one near you. Find the nearest centre. To find nearest IELTS 2020 test centre – Click here
Register for your IELTS test
You can register and pay online or download an application form to print, fill out and send to your local test centre.
- Visit the official website of IELTS registration portal. Read all the information given on the page.
- Select your country and find the test centre location.
- Once the centre location is accessed, click on the registration links as shown below. Don’t forget to present a copy of your valid ID. You must present the same ID document on the day of the test.
- Create your account and select the option ‘Register for Test.’
- Select your preferred choice of test from the given options, which are – computer-delivered IELTS and paper-based (IELTS, IELTS for UKVI or Life Skills).
- Select your IELTS test types
- Find the test date – Candidates must check the availability of tests at a given test centre and schedule his/her test considering the availability in mind. Along with test slot, candidates must also select the test slot from the available options
- Fill the IELTS application form 2020 and complete the registration form.
- Upload a clear and scanned colour copy of the passport and submit the details.
- Fee payment – Can be done in online mode, using the payment gateway facilities.
Your IELTS test is booked
Once the IELTS test date is booked, your application has been processed, you will receive an acknowledgement on the registered contact information with the confirmation of the center, date and time of your test. Speaking and writing tests usually take place on the same day. If this is not possible, the tests will take place within seven days.
In case the candidate has not selected any slot, the conducting body will allot the slot time automatically, since there will be no slots booked by the candidates.
What documents are required for IELTS registration?
The only document for identification that will be accepted at the IELTS exam center is your valid passport/national identity card. Your identity will be verified when you arrive at the IELTS test site. It is mandatory for the entire exam, i.e. listening/reading, writing, and speaking sections. It is also the only identification document that is accepted when IELTS candidates are registered.
The identification document that you submit during the exam should match the one you submitted when you applied for the exam. Remember to make a color copy of the front and back of the passport. Candidates without a valid ID will not be admitted to the ILETS examination center.
Other basic items required at the exam centre include:
- 2 current identical passport photos of you:
- These photos are required if the photo uploaded to your registration form is not clear. In this case, you must submit a new photo during the first ID check on the day of the check.
- Print out the confirmation email that the British Council received after registering for the IELTS exam to your registered email address. This printout is stamped at the entrance to the listening, reading, writing and speaking tests.
- A few stationery items such as a black or blue ballpoint pen, a few pens, a sharpener and an eraser.
- A small water bottle (500 ml) should be transparent and without labels. However, in some centers this may not be necessary as arrangements have been made to provide the test candidates with drinking water/refreshments and other essential requirements.
- Except for the items listed above, nothing else needs to be brought to the exam centers.
Items such as cell phones, watches and electronic devices are not permitted in the examination room. Therefore, avoid wearing them, or they must be left outside in a specific place before entering the examination room. Mobile phones must be switched off and put in your pocket before you leave them in the designated place.
Documents for IELTS Registration – FAQs
Can I register for IELTS in offline mode?
Yes, the IELTS application form can be filled and submitted in offline mode. Candidates will need to download the application form and fill it manually and submit it in person or by using the postal services.
When can I apply for IELTS?
The application form of IELTS remains open for the most part of the year. You can apply anytime depending on the test date you want to take.
What documents are needed for IELTS?
The IELTS test location staff will check your identity when you arrive. Please bring your original and valid passport you used when you booked your test, along with a colour photocopy. Driving licenses, student IDs and other documents are not accepted as valid proof of identification.
While preparing for your IELTS Exam, you have to be fully aware of what documents are required for IELTS registration in other to avoid mistake or disqualification. It is important to note that whatever document you submit during the registration is what will be required during the test.